Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting
held at Hinton St Mary Village Hall
on Tuesday October 24th 2023 at 7pm

Chairman – Steve Johnson (SJ)
Councillors – Jo Curtis (JC) Celia Wright (CW) Mark Steggles MS
Clerk – Vivian Hitchmough (VH)
County Cllr Carole Jones and 2 members of the public

2023.42 Apologies Cllr Rob Bartlett (RB)

2023.43 Minutes of the meeting of Tuesday August 15th 2023 were agreed as
a true record and duly signed.

2023.44 Matters Arising
Defibrillator training. CW had approached St Johns Ambulance regarding training for volunteers but it was very costly. Cllr Carole Jones has a contact and will pass the information to CW for further investigation. CW has printed a comprehensive booklet on the defibrillator operation and has also printed a simple user manual for volunteers. It was suggested that the two page document be printed in the Mosaic, and CW will check with John Lewis regarding the information provided prior to print. The Chairman thanked CW for her valuable input.

2023.45 Declarations of Interest

2023.46 Updates from Officers
The conversion of garage and MOT bay to two number dwellings at Turks Garage has been agreed by Councillors as no objection, however Andy Hampton who attended the meeting asked if the Parish Council could reiterate their agreement and emphasise the advantage to the provision of two new properties and tidying up the area. Cllrs agreed this would enhance the area considerably. Cllr Carole Jones will check the status of the application and report back to the Chairman.
The Chairman will also contact Dorset Council planning regarding the Parish Council’s support for the application of double glazing at 6 Castleman Lane.

Roads, drains and potholes
As RB had sent apologies there was no report. JC reported that Wessex Water surveyors had been in the area mapping the drains and sewers which could be advantageous to the village.
MS reported that a representative of Sovereign had visited Nicolsons Cottages track and noted the damaged road, but MS said the situation is worsening and several cars are reporting damage. Cllr Carole Jones said she would investigate.
MS suggested a vote for the 20mph restriction which villagers would like to see throughout the village excepting the main road . Cllrs would be prepared to promote and collect opinions and votes which would enable the Parish Council to bring the situation to the notice of Dorset Council for possible action. Janet will arrange for a notice to be printed in the Mosaic to make people aware of the situation and give them the opportunity to vote.
It was suggested that the Parish Council create a WhatsApp group which would speed communications. Cllr Carole Jones would like to be included within the group. The Chairman will set up the WhatsApp group.

Village Liaison/Garden
JC advised that the garden is due the Autumn tidy up but will need some strong chaps to help. A notice regarding the date for the work will be printed in the Mosaic. The Laurel hedge will need to be cut back.

Speed Indicator Device
The Chairman reported that the SID is working well.

Checked regularly and CW said the replacement batteries and pads will be needed in the Spring of 2024.

Telephone Box
The Chairman and Councillors agreed the box was looking very smart and will be used for information and book exchange. Cllrs all agreed it had been an excellent team effort and thanked everyone concerned.

2023.47 Finance
A cheque for the clerk’s salary was signed.

2023.48 County Councillors report
Cllr Carol Jones reported that the work on the bridge was nearly completed and ahead of schedule.
The digital switchover means that copper lines will be switched off by 2025. There are some issue regarding folk without access to Wi Fi and it will need to be carefully monitored.
She said she was spending a lot time completed funding applications for the Pantry and there is a real need for this facility within Sturminster and surrounds.
The arrival of Aldi is still ongoing but grid capacity is an issue

2023.49 Questions from members of the public

2023.50 Correspondence
No outstanding correspondence

2023.51 Any Other Business
CW said there were real concerns regarding dog fouling within the village again. She had asked whether CCTV could be used to call out people not picking up their dog waste. This is not allowed unfortunately but the Dorset Council dog warden has provided notices to remind dog owners that there is a penalty if the dog fouls and it is not picked up. CW will distribute these around the village after speaking to the Estate .

2023.52 Date of next meeting Tuesday February 13th 2024

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.15pm